Sunday, April 18, 2010

Capitalizing on the Motivation of Virtual Worlds.

Wow, what an experience this semester exploring motivation and virtual worlds. Over the past decade I have used a great array of technology in teaching and have witnessed a unique motivation in learning through the use of the various technologies. Thus, my project focus is to identify methods to measure the motivation in virtual worlds and other technology enriched environments.

I say “wow”, as my exploration of Second Life (SL) was truly an amotivational experience. I wrote a journal of my second life experience to share with everyone, but have to admit I was to the point of writing off SL and other virtual environments completely as a useful educational technology.

After a good amount of thinking about the SL experience I got the notion that the motivation I have seen in the past may be my motivation transferred to the students. I came across a self-determination theory based article shedding light on how an educator frames the educational experience for the student thus, directing the student’s motivation (Vansteenkiste, Lens, & Deci, 2006).

I am still working on my paper with a high level of intrinsic motivation, but have this question: Do you believe your motivation with a particular technology as an instructor is mirrored in your students thus, the motivational factors of a HIVE is actually strongest for the instructor versus the student?

Vansteenkiste, M., Lens, W., & Deci, E. L. (2006). Intrinsic Versus Extrinsic Goal Contents in Self-Determination Theory: Another Look at the Quality of Academic Motivation. Educational Psychologist , 19-31.

3 comments:

  1. Your journal was fun to read. I loved all the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, I think that the instructor's motivation for anything, whether it be content or technology is very much mirrored in the student motivation. I can not possibly count the number of comments on teaching evaluations along the lines of, "She was so enthusiastic about the material that it made me feel excited too!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with what Rachel above said. the instructor's motivation is indeed transferred to the learners. However, if the motivation to learn is missing, I don't think any type of virtual world will get students moving. They still need the basic elements in course design as well as elements that are lacking in distance education, such as sense of presence, belongingness, purpose and direction.
    Personally, I though Second Life was a whoot! But I think that it wouldn't matter what the delivery platform was as long as there is a strong course structure and support system in place.

    ReplyDelete